The Characteristics of Sex Addiction Questionnaire
THE CHARACTERISTICS OF A SEX ADDICTED PERSON QUESTIONNAIRE
- Do you come from a family with cold, distant, critical and rigid parents?
- Did you experience childhood abuse, whether physical, verbal, emotional or sexual?
- Do you come from a family culture or background with addiction (e.g. parents, siblings, relatives with addictions)?
- Do you currently have other addictions, a.k.a. cross-addictions (e.g. alcohol, drugs, food, gaming, gambling, spending, etc.)?
- Does your sexual behaviour leave you confused or confounded, not understanding why you do what you do?
- Do you have a pattern (cycle) to your sexual behaviours, such as preoccupation (contemplation), acting out (climax), shame (cringe) and feeling low (crash), and then fighting being sexual (contra-sexual) which only leads back to preoccupation, etc.?
- Do your sexual behaviours contradict your conscience and your professed values, spiritual and religious beliefs?
- Have you lied to others in order to conceal your sexual behaviour?
- Have you made repeated, but failed, attempts to control (manage), curb (reduce) or cease (stop) these sexual behaviours?
- Has your capacity, or tolerance, for certain sexual behaviours increased and do you need more novel and escalating types of sexual content in order to achieve the same effect?
- Do your sexual behaviours preoccupy and consume your time and energy and thus interfere or conflict with other aspects of your life (e.g. relationships & responsibilities)?
- Have you surrendered, or ceded, other activities and priorities (e.g. hobbies, sleep) in order to spend more time being sexual?
- Do you use your sexual behaviours to calm or cultivate certain moods or emotions?
- Have you continued these behaviours in spite of negative consequences or risks to your health, employment, finances, family, public image and threat of arrest?
- Have you ever done some of the above behaviours consistently for more than 6 months in a row?
- Do you feel your sexual behaviours are leading you, or have led you, into a crisis?
- Are you, or are loved ones, concerned about your sexual behaviour?
- Have you sought counselling for your sexual behaviours in the past and/or do you feel you need to seek counselling for a possible sex addiction today?
If you answered “yes” to 6 or more of the above questions then you may have a sex addiction.
The Whitestone Clinic Can Help
Problematic sexual behaviour – from online pornography use, to affairs and buying sex – can lead to serious trust traumas in loved ones or even in oneself. If you or a loved one have run into struggles with sex addiction that may feel overwhelming, an educated professional can help. We offer you a professional, caring environment where you can explore those concerns that may be troubling you. Our Ottawa based team is friendly, knowledgeable, and discreet, and we treat every client with respect and dignity. Make yourself a priority. You are worth the investment. If you or a loved one are troubled by sex addiction, The Whitestone Clinic can help.
Please note: The Whitestone Clinic does not provide medical or psychiatric care, nor do we offer treatment or care for the issue of pedophilia.
THE STORMY Cs- Characteristics of a Sex Addicted Person
COLD & CRITICAL parents
CULTURE & CROSS-ADDICTION
CONFUSED & CONFOUNDED
CYCLE of CONTEMPLATION, CLIMAX, CRINGE , CRASH & becoming CONTRA-SEXUAL
CONTRADICTING CONSCIENCE & CONCEALING
CAN’T CONTROL, CURB or CEASE
increased CAPACITY & escalating CONTENT
CONSUMING, CONFLICTING & CEDING
CALM & CULTIVATE mood/emotions
CONSISTENT & CONTINUING despite CONSEQUENCES & CRISIS
CONCERN & COUNSELLING