Research has shown certain characteristics in the profile of most sex addicts. How many of these can you identify with?
- I have had severe consequences because of my sexual behaviour.
- I feel down (e.g. sad or depressed) much of the time because of my sexual behaviour.
- I have been physically and emotionally abused as an adult or as a child.
- I use sex as a way to feel better (intoxicating, tension-reliever, sleeping aid).
- Before my sexual behaviour, I want it; afterwards, I regret it.
- I have lied often to conceal my sexual behaviour.
- Often, I do not like who I am because of my sexual behaviour.
- There are periods of time, especially after a binge, when I lose all sexual interest.
- I will sometimes alternate between binging and then avoiding sex altogether.
- I am too sexual in some parts of my life and not sexual enough in others.
- My life is in crisis because of sexual problems.
- I have had a number of crises in my life because of sex.
- I find less pleasure now than before in the same sexual things.
- My mood can shift dramatically around sex.
- I come from a family that was controlling and rigid about rules.
- I come from a family that had negative sexual attitudes.
- I come from a family that was not very intimate or close.
- After my sexual behaviour, I often feel sad because I hurt people I love.
- After my sexual behaviour, I feel despair because of my inability to stop my behaviour.
- After my sexual behaviour, I often feel embarrassed and ashamed about my behaviour.
The average sex addict has six of these “collateral indicators”. If you identified with six or more then you might be addicted to sex.